I grew up in Reading into a creative and rather eccentric family, where I was always encouraged to be myself… and so I was! In my earlier years I loved to spend hours playing outside in the mud and pretending I was different characters and as I reached my teenage years, I just moved this inside and developed a love for Drama.
I’d already started collecting all of my story ideas in a big orange folder (which I still have squirrelled away in a secret location guarded by drooling two-headed hounds), but it was only when I took Creative Writing and Drama at university that I started to share my stories with people. At first I was convinced I would be a playwright and I still write scripts now, but when I left university, I started down a different path.
Seven years later, I qualified as a teacher, but I still had an unhealthy obsession with YA literature and everything writing related, including a dangerous addiction to buying notebooks. Then one day I came up with an idea for a character and I just started to write….
Now I live in a small and very old cottage in Somerset with my partner and my cat, Pepper. When I’m not writing, I teach and when I’m not teaching, I read my ever growing pile of books, run or try my best to replicate yummy things from my collection of cookbooks!
~ RANDOM FUN FACTS ~
- I love liquorice tea.
- I believe in ghosts but I’m not sure they are people that have passed. (I’m also convinced I grew up in a haunted house.)
- I like to listen to white noise when I write difficult scenes or when I read.
- Small inconsistent noises drive me MAD!
- I don’t like boiled sweets because I think they’re too big for my mouth.
- I sometimes wonder what trees have seen in their lifetimes.
- It’s totally ok to eat cake for breakfast on your birthday.
- I LOVE the darkness in the countryside.
- I think I have a strange voice and people often ask me where I grew up, only to be disappointed by my answer.
- I once covered myself in olive oil and rotten eggs for a play in underground tunnels.
- I don’t do roller coasters but I have done a skydive and bungee jump!
- I asked my other half if he could think of something I should add to this and he said “You have quite a big middle toe.” (This is possibly my favourite fun fact!)
And this… because serious author photos are overrated!
“Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.” – Oscar Wilde.
“Monsters are real and ghosts are real too. They live inside us and sometimes they win.” – Stephen King.
“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore (or J.K.Rowling if you’re feeling sensible!)